If your residential home or commercial building was built prior to 2004, then it is required to have an asbestos survey performed by an accredited inspector before demolition or renovation activity begins. A copy of the asbestos survey report must be at the side of the renovation or demolition at all times. The DEQ may request the report at any time during the activity.
What is an Asbestos Survey?
Visual identification is not enough to determine the presence or absence of asbestos fibers in building materials. Only an Asbestos Survey or Asbestos Screening, which involves a sampling and laboratory analysis of the materials, can accurately identify and quantify asbestos fibers in building materials. A surveyor will safely take small samples of materials which are suspected to contain asbestos.
Here are some of the elements included in an Asbestos Survey Report:
- The date that asbestos survey was executed
- Proof of the accredited inspectors certificate and phone number
- Address of the project address and where the survey was executed
- The property owner or operator’s name and phone number
- Description of the property and area surveyed:
- Past and current use
- Area square footage
- Approximate construction date
- Number of floors
- Purpose of the asbestos survey
- Limitations of the asbestos survey
- List of the materials sampled and identified as asbestos-containing or presumed asbestos-containing including
- Percent asbestos
- Type of asbestos
- Description of the material color, texture and pattern
- Location of the material
- Description of the material condition (good, poor, etc.)
- Identification of the material (friable or nonfriable)
- Estimated quantity of the material
- Recommended response action
- Copy of the laboratory report including
- Laboratory name, address and phone number
- Unique sample analysis identification number
- Bulk sample analysis results
- Name of the analyst and the completed chain of custody for the samples
Asbestos Surveys in Central Oregon
Bend Asbestos serves residential and commercial customers throughout Central Oregon including Bend, Redmond, Prineville, Sisters, La Pine and the surrounding area. We provide asbestos surveys and AHERA surveys as a service to keep your family safe.